Thursday, August 2, 2012

Week of salads

I've been trying to lose weight for awhile and it's just sticking on there.  I have a small breakfast, usually of kashi cereal, for lunch I have primarily fruits and veggies and yogurt.  For dinner we have whatever, and then I try to not eat after the kids go to bed.  And it doesn't work!  The weight does not want to move.  Obviously I need to exercise as well, but it's hard to get the motivation for that, so right now I'm just focusing on food.

I decided that I wanted to try having salads for dinner for a week.  I figured since my kids refuse to eat what I make them most of the time anyway (except calzones or pasta), they wouldn't care. And Adam said he was willing to try it (though he wasn't too excited, I'll admit.)  So we've had two days so far.

Day 1: Basic mixed greens/vinaigrette salad.  Spinach, mixed lettuce, strawberries, raspberries, raisins, (grapes? can't remember), pecans, raspberry walnut vinaigrette dressing.  I also made pillsbury crescent rolls to accompany it.  I always love eating this salad, since I think it's delicious.  Adam likes it well enough too.  The kids aet the rolls, nibbled the salad, and there was much weeping and wailing and stress. Sigh.

Day 2: Grape salad.  This one was more of a dessert or side salad than a main dish.  But it looked yummy, so I tried it.  Green and red grapes, cream cheese, sour cream, sugar, vanilla, pecans.  Basically grape cheesecake!  It is delicious.  Yum yum yum.  The kids refused to touch it until we forced them.  More weeping and wailing.  Of course, today they wanted mine when I was having it for lunch.  Adam was recovering from a migraine and didn't want something sugary.  We also wanted to support Chick-fil-a so after everyone watched me eat my salad, we drove there, but the line was too long so we got other fast food instead.  Sigh.

I have four more salads to make this week and Adam will cook one day.  I will report on them later.  Tonight will probably be Roquefort Pear salad.

1 comment:

Jolena said...

Ever thought you might be eating too little? You sound like you're eating really healthy things, at least for breakfast and lunch, but I'm wondering if you're not giving your body enough to work with, so it's hanging on for dear life to what it has. We can talk about it more if you like. I've learned a lot about nutrition in the the last year or two that is vastly different than what I thought was the right way to do things up until that point. Love ya!