Saturday, April 30, 2011

Another haircut

My hair has been getting longer and longer and I've basically given up on it. Well, correction: I basically gave up on it sometime in college when I realized that no matter how cute the haircut looks in the salon, it will NEVER work out once I get home. My hair is too frizzy, wavy but not curly, super thick but fine, etc. So I usually just leave it long, let it do its thing, and dream of having a nice haircut and also the motivation to style it everyday. I've paid $20 for haircuts and I've paid $55 and have been dissatisfied with all of them. I actually bid on a haircut in a silent auction in February, but I don't know the person, and after our initial "Let's get together sometimes" I haven't even seen her at church again, so I feel weird about asking her to cut my hair. Today, I had basically no patience, and Daniel contributed to that by literally hanging off of my hair multiple times. I kind of snapped, and as soon as they were in bed, out came the scissors.

Before:
Wow, it was rather unruly, wasn't it?


Cutting off that hair was almost physically painful. After all, I was cutting off the prettiest part of my hair!




And after:






























Okay, just kidding. That was just what it looked like after I put it in a ponytail and cut it behind my head--which is very hard to do!




This is the after.


You can't really tell in this picture the incredible amount of layering I put into the hair. I did a little more and then fluffed my hair around and took this picture:


It's late and I don't want to wake up the kids with the hair dryer, so I'll fix it more tomorrow if it needs it. For now, I feel about the same about it as I feel about any haircut: meh. I originally was trying to make it look like this youtube tutorial, but my hair is just too thick and it wasn't working out, so I just reverted to my standard A-line in the front, layered all around look. I would have liked it to look a little more funky like that youtube video, but my hair is too wavy.




Anyway, I told Adam I might chop off my hair while he was gone, and I did! Tomorrow I'll have to figure out how to style it. I anticipate I'll be having lots of bobby pin hairstyles, but I might try flattening it tomorrow.

4 comments:

shelly said...

Honestly, I think it looks great as-is. I'm impressed that you were able to do such a great job by yourself! No offense regarding your previous style, but it's a definite improvement.

lsj said...

A girl after my own heart!

Jolena said...

I love the new look! I hope it works out once you style it. If you haven't tried it, Tres Emme curly hair mousse is amazing for having good curls. I put it in mine and leave it wet and it dries nicely and looks pretty good for so little effort. I'm working on letting mine grow out currently and when it's not working very well I keep wanting to just chop it off too but I think I'll let it be long for a while longer before I do that.

Heidi said...

I like the short hair makes you look younger! not taht your old.. or that would make me old.. haha. I had the same problem with thick and a little wave in my hair and i told a hairdresser that and they razor cut it and made my hair thinner with layers. it took alot of the wave out and made my hair more managable.Much better when i straighten it. I need a trim and trying to grow my hair long again. Seems lik its taking forever. Good luck!