I really had fun with this quilt. Don't laugh, but I had a dream a few months ago with a similar design to this in it, except impossibly more complicated, and so I made up little mock up in Publisher. I fine-tuned it several times, got wishy-washy about using it, but ultimately went ahead with it. The hardest part was figuring out what kind of fabric I wanted. Then I found this shop on Etsy that does hand-dyed fabrics, and I decided I loved the gradient look.
I used the same navy blue fabric for the borders and backing as I used on my brother's quilt.
The quilting was actually a huge issue, because I decided that in lieu of trying to decide which color of thread would complement all of these colors, I chose a transparent thread I've never used. The thread was so fine that it cause tension issues while winding the bobbin, and then it proceeded to break both of my bobbins. Yes, they actually broke. I was pretty upset. They aren't easy to come by in stores, so I ordered some new ones online for cheap (metal this time!). However, I didn't want to wait several days to finish, so I got out my old machine. Wouldn't you know, that little sucker had no problem with the transparent thread, and I stippled this in about an hour and a half. The final dimensions are about 34" x 44", I think.