Friday, December 31, 2010

A special baby quilt

This finished baby quilt is a particularly special quilt, as well as a difficult one to make emotionally. There was a little girl in our ward born a couple of months ago. From the very beginning she had health problems, and she ended up only living a little more than a month.
I wanted to do something for her parents to remember her by. During their struggles I really wanted to help but wasn't even able to make a meal for them because they cancelled that service the the day before I was scheduled to make one so that the mom could return to cooking, which was therapeutic for her.

I considered making a stuffed animal with the baby's name embroidered on it. But to be honest, I couldn't really get into that project. I still wanted to make something, I just wasn't sure what. I talked to my mom to brainstorm, and we agreed that something soft and cuddly that they could hold when they wanted to think of their daughter would be a good thing. I decided to make a quilt, because I definitely know how to make those!

I needed inspiration, and I needed to be able to do the project quickly because I didn't want to delay in giving it to the parents. So I looked on Etsy for ideas and found this darling quilt. I used those same ideas and inspiration in this quilt.

The back is a super-soft minky toile. The front is flannel, minky (from Joanns and Minky Delight's clearance section), and "snuggle fabric", as Joanns calls it. I decided against chenille like in the original, because I kind of hate the feeling of chenille, not sure why!

I used medium loft batting and wow, it's a thick quilt. I also sewed it up like a blanket instead of a quilt because I didn't have enough fabric for binding, and I like how it turned out. I still quilted it like a quilt though. The heart were done with my free motion foot. I've never used it on my new machine, and I really like it, but I still kind of boofed them up a bit. Not too badly, though!
It's about 30" square. I was originally planning something smaller, but the design kind of grew and grew.
I will give it to the mom and dad on Sunday. I'm a little hesitant. A lot of love and prayers went into this quilt, and I hope it helps their grief rather than causes them more grief. It's hard to know what will help people. But I definitely felt impressed to make something for them, and this is what came out, so I just have to have faith that the Lord will use my skills as a way to help them out.
I hope everyone has a Happy New Year. I have plenty of new goals and resolutions and I hope I can start off the year well. Next week stay tuned for another quilt for my brother, possibly some diapers, and a purse for my cousin.

9 comments:

Em said...

Tori,

This is SO beautiful! You are such a beautiful person and friend! I miss you a lot! I think that this is one of the kindest things that I've ever seen someone do for another person! Beautiful quilt!

EM

Jolena said...

What an amazing gift for that family! I can't help but think it will bring them so much comfort. It is so beautiful and I think you're amazing for doing something so nice and wonderful for them!

Amber said...

Tori--That is a beautiful idea as well as a beautiful quilt. I'm sure it will be greatly appreciated. Some of the most tender memories I have are of preparing keepsakes like that for families in the NICU (we had a special box of donated quilts to be used in those situations). I think they will just appreciate feeling like someone else remembers their daughter and her life. Good job!

Jennifer said...

That is so sad. I lost a baby when she was just under 2 months old, and I know I would have been incredibly touched if someone had made me such a quilt. It's beautiful, and such a great gesture of love!

Midnightcoiler said...

What a lovely heartfelt remembrance for them at such a sad time. The quilt is beautiful and so soft looking. They will cherish this for the rest of their lives, I'm sure.

Nicole's Homemade Treats...The Blog said...

What a gorgeous, heartfelt piece of art. I am sure they will appreciate it very much even in their time of grief.

leapinggazelle said...

What an amazing gift of love and beautiful tribute for the family. It looks so soft and delicate and I'm sure they will be touched by your wonderful quilt.

Seamingly Sarah said...

It really is beautiful. I know what you mean about not being sure how a word or action might affect someone else, but you're right, if it's from God, His message will be delivered to them one way or another, even if you don't see it right away.

Jessi said...

this is absolutely beautiful! you are so talented, and such a sweet friend to turn your talents into real and true blessings. They will be so grateful!