Thursday, November 11, 2010

My fun hospital stay

Around 5:45 yesterday, we were on our way out the door for family pictures, when the trouble hit. I spent the next several hours dealing with some nasty food-poisoning-type symptoms, and some of them were a little worrisome, so we decided to head to the emergency room. By the time we got there, the majority of my pain was over, but they were still worried (GI bleeding), so they did some CT scans and blood draws. Then they absolutely floored us with the news: I had appendicitis. I couldn't believe it, because I had no localized pain, and when they pushed around, I didn't have any pain, but the CT scan showed that my appendix was inflamed, so they admitted me.

The morning came, a new shift of doctors arrived, and they told me they didn't think I had appendicitis after all. They started talking colonoscopy. Then they weren't sure about that. The day went by, my pain and symptoms grew more and more occasional, and finally I asked to leave. So the conclusion is that I need to see the GI doc next week with a possible colonoscopy. Oh, and they found elevated white blood cells, so my current illness is from some sort of infection.

I'm currently still sick, but I'm happy to be home instead of at the hospital. I'm not on any antibiotics because they still have to finish the cultures. Unfortunately, because of the meds they had me on at the hospital, I still can't breastfeed Daniel. It's proving to be a real pain (literally), because I'm having real issues with pumping not working. Daniel did all right today with normal food, water, and a few ounce of formula, but I need to have him feeding normally tomorrow or else I'll be in great pain, and then start to dry up, neither symptom which I want to deal with.

So life stinks a little right now but I'm happy to not have had surgery and to be home.

4 comments:

Jolena said...

What a day! I hope you find things out very soon so you can get back to breastfeeding and not being in pain and not having all these problems. Love you!

Jessi said...

get well soon! I am sorry you had to go through all that! praying for you!

Tasha's Life said...

Holy cow! I'm glad you're back home and things are better. I hope you found out more info after your dr. visit. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Love ya!

Seamingly Sarah said...

get well soon! My prayers are with you and for healing!