Sunday, October 3, 2010

Pillow #2

Today I worked on Daniel's pillow during Conference. As I predicted, things didn't go quite as smoothly. Instead of getting the kids to nap at the same time, they alternated, which meant little rest or chance for listening for us. The most dramatic part of the day happened during the morning session, when Adam tried to cook ramen and ended up turning on the wrong burner. We only have two stove knobs and always have to switch them around depending on which burner we are using. A 9x13 pan with the remainder of the German pancakes we ate for breakfast was on the back burner. We heard a loud bang and then a tinkling of glass. Except for the pancakes lying there on the burner, I would have had no idea what had broken, because the glass shattered so completely. The absolute saddest part was the fresh pan of coffeecake sitting on the stove next to the German pancakes. I had used up several ingredients on it and planned on eating it for breakfast tomorrow, since we're all out of every other breakfast item for the kids. So I was pretty upset about the glass shards and glass dust all over the coffeecake. I spent several minutes trying to spoon off every speck of glass, and then I just spooned off the whole top half of the cake. So we still have breakfast for tomorrow. This is Daniel's pillow. I think I like it better than Katrina's. I definitely like the color better; Katrina's is a funky yellow that looked better in the store than once I got it home.


Train, car, bus. Because Daniel is a BOY and BOYS like that stuff. :] (Katrina particularly loves trucks and trains, so I think she'll be fighting Daniel for this pillow.)
Here is Katrina's pillow if you missed it, and here is the tutorial I used (and I got the idea for the embroidery from someone's pictures in the Flickr group, can't claim that idea as my own!)



Shared at Show and Tell at Blue Cricket Design.

giveaways

4 comments:

Elise said...

Tori, you're on a roll! I love the contrasting piping, and the bus is my favorite. You are awesome. I feel like I say that all the time, but it's true, so you'll just have to deal with it. Someday I hope to be as awesome as you.

Jolena said...

I love this idea! I might have to do something like it myself someday. And I totally understand the loss of a whole meal from a shattered pan! We did the same thing last year in our old apartment and it was the saddest thing ever. We actually tried to salvage what was actually in the shattered pan. I don't recommend that. But if you took off the whole top of the coffee cake, I bet that will be fine. It's just so sad when it happens...

Laura said...

We had a similar experience only our glass pan was in the oven with food that was cooked too long. My glass pan cracked in half, one of my favorite pans. :)

jerriann said...

Oh how cute!