Sunday, August 15, 2010

Toddler backpack!

You may have noticed that I like projects that I can do in one evening. I'm willing to commit to larger projects, but the little ones are so much fun. Tonight I decided to make a toddler backpack for Katrina, something which I've wanted to do for awhile. You may remember the version I made for my nephew a few months ago. I used the same tutorial, but this time I made it a little bit taller and an inch and a half deeper. My hope is that I'll be able to put Katrina's sippy cup, snacks, and changes of clothes in here and free up some room in my diaper bag.


I used all fabrics from her birthday quilt. Instead of the one layer of fabric reinforced with interfacing like the tutorial recommends, I quilted the bag, which gives it a nice weight and helps it hold its shape. I had fun quilting hearts and stars on the front. Free motion quilting is so easy when your swatch is less than a foot square! Maybe I'll only make very tiny quilts from now on. :]
It opens easily for toddler hands that can't quite maneuver zippers. Someday when she's older, I'll make her a bag that's even sturdier, has a zipper, and can hold coloring books and other things. This one is not quite big enough for that. But it's good for stickers and stuffed animals and Woody and her doll and anything else that she tries to make me carry for her on the way out to the car!
And the sides are quilted in wide diamonds, while the bag is quilted with stippling.
I'm anxious for my purse frames to arrive so I can try out my pattern. If they are the right size I will order more (and have to wait another two weeks, grr). I have a few more projects like this planned to help keep me occupied in the meantime--like some nighttime diapers specifically designed to hold mammoth amounts of pee, a special bag that I may or may not demolish a too-small leather jacket in order to make (still undecided on that one), cycling tights for Adam, turning an adult skirt into a dress for Katrina, etc. Basically I'm trying to craft using just stuff I already have so I don't have to spend money on it! You'd be surprised how much use I've been getting out of old clothes that I would normally give away.

Shared at Blue Cricket Design's Show and Tell Wednesday.


giveaways

12 comments:

Jolena said...

Adorable! Does Katrina like it? I can just see her wearing it everywhere. What a fun idea!

lsj said...

Very cute Tori. She should love being mama's helper with her own bag.

lisa said...

Very cute!

Evenspor said...

I like the idea of using quilted fabric for the backpack. I was brainstorming ways to make it a little sturdier (and line the inside), and that's a lot better than anything I came up with.

Sassy Sites! said...

Very cute!! I am visiting from Sassy Sites. Come on by and say HI! I love your blog! So many great ideas! I'm a new follower... :)

http://sassysites.blogspot.com/

Erin said...

That is adorable - what a good idea to make it zipperless!

KQuiltyBee said...

I bet she carries this EVERYWHERE!

Leslie said...

this is such a great idea

trish said...

Oh gosh that is cute! :o)

QuilterMary said...

LOVE it, especially the way it opens without a zipper - very handy.

Pokey said...

Your backpack is so cute, and its neat that it matches her quilt! Good job, Mom!

Seams Inspired with Larri said...

Aw, that's too cute! What a great use of her quilt leftovers :o) Stopping over from Sew & Tell. Happy Sewing! :o)

www.seamsinspired.com