Friday, August 6, 2010

Sew & Tell

I'm happy to have a post to share on Amy Lou Who's Sew & Tell Friday this week. However, once again, I have to apologize for the pictures from my cell phone. I might need to go into the storage closet black hole and find my old camera until I can find or get a new memory card.

I originally got this idea from another Sew & Tell Friday post, here, and I was immediately struck by how beautiful it looked, as well as the symbolism she attributed to each part of the quilt. (I showed it to Adam and he said, "So I'm the black circle, right? Good.") So I Ebay-ed some bridal satin, and searched and searched for the right combination of fabrics. I finally found a group of coordinating fabrics in black and gray and yellow. Yellow and white were our wedding colors, and our room has black and gray bedding. So this was perfect.
I bought a Double Wedding Ring kit with templates to make things easier. It really was fairly simple to cut things out and sew them together--it just took awhile because there were so many pieces. And this is only one full circle! I'm definitely not making a Double Wedding Ring quilt anytime soon! Not the scrap version, at least.
It's a shame I can't show you the details so you can see the quilting. I quilted on the inside of all of the small pieces. It took forever, and then I had to go around and pull through all of the beginning and ending threads to knot in the back. But the overall effect is beautiful.
I originally planned on embroidering the Salt Lake Temple in the center but after my initial attempts on a scrap didn't really work, I decided to do away with that idea for now. We're going to stretch it and frame it. I kind of wanted to just bind it and hang it that way, but Adam likes the idea of it framed, so that's what we'll do. I also wanted to put a flower on it like the original, and I tried putting Adam's boutonniere in the corner, but it looked pretty funny. So I'm going to leave it like this for now. I can't wait to see it up on my wall in my room!
So that's my Friday finish! There are lots more over at her blog.

8 comments:

Jolena said...

It turned out so well. I can't wait to see it framed. And on the memory card issue, do you take it out to transfer your pictures to your computer? If you do, you might try using a min usb cable to transfer them instead so you don't have to take your card out and get it lost. Just a thought. I have about 4 if you don't happen to have one and can send one over. :)

Lappedamen said...

What a beutiful quilt. It will looks great in a frame. Nice work.

Miri said...

Well done! Its lovely...the color combination is really wonderful. I hope you'll take a picture of it framed.

A DWR quilt does take a while but if you work on it is small bits it gets done and is beautiful! I think after this-you'd have no trouble at all!

p.s.phyllis sews said...

Love what you did and the colors that you did. The gift will be most welcome! I also like that you got your husband's input on the project, too.

Larri @ Seams Inspired said...

It's beautiful! Stopping by from Sew&Tell. Thanks for sharing. Happy Sewing! :o)

www.seamsinspired.com

Kate said...

This turned out so well!! I LOVE the satin pieces incorporated. I'm working on a double wedding ring for my daughter. It's a bit bigger than a lap quilt size. But it's taking me FOREVER to quilt it. Yours is a wonderful inspiration. Great work and I love the idea to just make ONE and frame. Genious! Maybe I'll do THAT idea for the other 3 kids that recenctly got married. :)

Kate said...

This turned out so well!! I LOVE the satin pieces incorporated. I'm working on a double wedding ring for my daughter. It's a bit bigger than a lap quilt size. But it's taking me FOREVER to quilt it. Yours is a wonderful inspiration. Great work and I love the idea to just make ONE and frame. Genious! Maybe I'll do THAT idea for the other 3 kids that recenctly got married. :)

Elizabeth said...

Tori, I absolutely L♥VE what you did! I saw your link at Sew & Tell and went hey, that's like the one I did! So I clicked on over and saw that you'd linked up to my project and I am so absolutely flattered that you liked my idea. I love your fabric choices! Beautifully done!

xo -E