Friday, August 27, 2010

More dipes

I can whip out diapers pretty quickly now. It's super easy. Cut out PUL (waterproof outer fabric), cut out inner fabric, cut out soaker fabric (this time I used old shirts and other clothes). Sew soaker to inner fabric. In the past I've sewn it on the inside, but this time I sewed it on the outside for faster drying. Sew together inner and outer, leaving a hole across the top for turning. Sew leg elastic and back elastic directly onto the seam with a 3-step zigsag stitch. Turn, topstitch. Put on snaps. Done!
This was a new style for me. I've made one other like this and really liked it, so I made three more. They utilize foldover elastic (FOE).

Why hello there, old bathrobe, sweats, and flannel shirt.
I've been trying them out today and they work great! I loved making the fun diapers with lots of patterns, but now I really just want low-cost, functional diapers. I spent $6 on PUL, $6 on FOE, and with $12 I made five diapers and even have enough PUL leftover for two more if I want. You really can't get cheaper than that, even if you buy cheap eBay diapers.

10 comments:

Elise said...

Oh, My Goodness. Tori! Are those the infamous green sweats of freshman year?

This just made my day! It's just too bad they've been relegated to human waste-soaker-uppers. (But the diapers are very cute, I'll give you that.)

(P.S. I think you need to post a picture of you in these sweats and your gigantic headphones, and did you also have gigantic glasses you put on? I can't remember.)

Haylee said...

I love them. What a great idea to make your own diapers.

Seams Inspired said...

Wow! I never had the stamina to try sewing my own diapers when my babies were babies. Yours look great! Stopping by from Sew&Tell. Thanks for sharing. Happy Sewing! :o)

Larri at Seams Inspired

p.s.phyllis sews said...

WOW! I am so impressed with your efforts to make your own diapers. They look great and what a wonderful way to save money and be green!

Evenspor said...

I don't remember if you'v said before, where do you get your PUL?

Michelle said...

Fabulous! What a wonderful idea!

Leslie said...

can you make diapers like this without a serger...we are having a new baby and i want to use cloth, but am not sure if i am going to be any good at sewing my own diapers. yours looks amazing.

Our Busy Little Bunch said...

These look great!

Miri said...

Very clever! Love the no pins, quick change aspect of these cloth diapers!

Shalyse said...

Tori, can you send me a link to your etsy store? Thanks! You are so talented!