Friday, August 20, 2010

Beautiful Leather Bag

I finished my new leather bag! I made this bag out of a hand-me-down leather jacket that was too small for me and that I never wore. I got the pattern from this blog. I added those stroller straps on the ends because I like that feature.

This bag was very fun to sew but definitely a challenge. I had to take apart all the seams on the jacket and do lots of measuring to make sure the pattern pieces fit on the jacket. I also made use of features of the jacket on the bag. For instance:

See the side of the bag? Pretty, right?


Surprise! A pocket! Both ends have pockets from the jacket. A nice place for sippy cups, keys, or whatever.


I added a zipper, which was not in the pattern. That was the big reason my previous bag wasn't cutting it for me.

Can I tell you how difficult this bag was to sew? I broke five leather needles on it. In fact, my universal needles did a much better job. My machine had real issues sewing through multiple layers of leather, such as in the straps and with topstitching. In fact, I only topstitched in spots around the top because it was too hard to stitch around the corners and above the straps. I also had to use a walking foot, which has teeth that catch on fabric. Also, the straps were supposed to be sewn together and then turned. The first time I did that it was so hard to turn them and Adam and I both labored over them before I finally had to give up and sew them another way. For the next set of straps I didn't sew them as small and it worked better.

The inside is made from an old denim skirt. I added a snap-in divider. The end pockets are actually pockets from the skirt.


And now, pictures in action. Every time I do this I realize how dirty my mirror is.


And I need to get dressed for the day before taking pictures next time!

Daniel woke up as I was taking pictures, so I snapped a few.



And I snapped a picture of my quilt on the wall. It's not framed yet so I just stuck it up with pushpins.






Show and Tell at Blue Cricket Design

giveaways

17 comments:

Jolena said...

It looks professionally made. That is amazing! I think it's a much better use of that old leather jacket than having it sit in the closet. Way to go!

shelly said...

Wow, that looks awesome! Very professional, and I'm totally impressed with your ability to re-purpose your jacket into a great bag! Hooray for you!

Leslie said...

this bag is awesome!!!

Elizabeth said...

Tori, that is some really amazing repurposing! Your bag turned out beautifully. Thanks for sharing!

xo -E

amylouwho said...

I totally want to do this now. I'd never even thought of it! you rock!

I love the secret 007 pockets!

Jaime said...

Tori, that looks completely awesome! I am so impressed! You are one talented woman.

Seams Inspired with Larri said...

Fabulous! I have to pull out my 40+years Singer when I want to sew leather. My newer machines just fight the thicker fabrics. Enjoy your new bag! Stopping over from Sew & Tell. Happy Sewing! :o)

www.seamsinspired.com

Lappedamen said...

Wow, what a good looking bag. You have done a good work this.

Destri said...

Holy cow, I cannot believe you made that. So cool!

Amy said...

This is GREAT!!! I just bought leather needles this weekend to make a purse out of an old leather skirt. I have been wondering how hard it would be to sew through leather...I guess I have some hard times ahead of me. Thanks for sharing!!

Haylee said...

I love it! Your kids are cute as well.

Sassy Sites! said...

I am hosting a giveaway over at Sassy Sites. Come on by and join in on the fun! We would love to have you!

-Marni
http://sassysites.blogspot.com/

the cape on the corner said...

that's awesome! love the side pockets. stopping over from somewhat simple.

Jeroen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Andrew said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Atif said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Leather Coats said...


nice post love reading it