Thursday, July 29, 2010

Baby Shower gift

Excuse the awful cell pictures. Memory stick has gone missing again. Last time I found it in my pocket. This time I blame Katrina again though, because I know her and how she loves to take it out of the computer if I forget it there!


I really wish you could see how cute these are. I found a tutorial (I think we can all agree that I'm good at that!) for turning shirts into little infant sleep gowns. I sifted through my closet and bags of old clothes and found two perfect ones. This black shirt really is a little more interesting than you would think just looking at this picture.

For this one I used a stretchy exercise jacket that I never really wore much. It has a zipper and I decided to make it into a sleep sack instead of just a gown. I also decided to make it sleeveless.

The cute part about that one is that there are still pockets in the front. I cut out the pockets, but the zippers remain, so I guess they could always unzip the pockets and tickle the baby's feet? I like it because of it's quirkiness!

I decided against the playmat after all, for various reasons. I'm still going to go ahead and make it though and just save it for now. I cut out things and laid everything out on the ground to preview it.
The black stuff is really plushy and soft. The sun will have batting and bells inside. The earth will have crinkly stuff. The rocket will have shiny portholes. The stars are satin. I might add a moon for the astronaut and alien. One thing that I've been thinking about is the fact that craft felt isn't going to be mashine-washable, so I might go through my fabric and use fabric instead of felt. Nothing is sewn down at this point, and I have no deadline anymore, so I still have time to decide.
The back is space-themed flannel.



3 comments:

Larri @ Seams Inspired said...

Cute baby gift ideas! I'd definitely look for washable fabric to use on the playmat. It's turning out darling. Thanks for sharing. Happy Sewing! :o)

Rita E said...

Great post ... thanks for sharing!

p.s.phyllis sews said...

Love that you repurposed a t-shirt for the little one. Thanks for sharing the playmat, too.