Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Six month visit

Daniel had his six-month checkup today. He seems to be just perfect, as the doctor always says! He is almost 18 pounds, and is in the 50th percentile for weight and head circumference, and 68th for height. I asked about teething and she said his bottom gums look a little swollen. Could that be why he has been so cranky the past few days? Who knows with Daniel. Today was actually a really good day for him. He also seems to be consolidating his naps to just two a day instead of three, so now that I've realized that, maybe I can avoid some of his crankiness. We went to playgroup today and that was really nice to spend time with other ladies and make a Father's Day craft. Plus, Daniel is always really happy when we go to new places.

I decided to try some alternative teething remedies. I have heard some great reviews of amber teething jewelry for babies, so I bought a necklace for Daniel and a bracelet for Katrina (because she will pitch a fit if he gets jewelry and she doesn't). The theory is that the succinic acid from the amber soaks into the baby's skin and it's a natural pain reliever. The necklace is made so that the beads are all knotted separately, and even if it breaks and the baby eats a bead, they are small enough to swallow and not choke on. And if the necklace gets stuck, the clasp separates to keep them from strangling. Anyway, it gets here in a few days and we'll try it out.

So I have some good news. My friend who commissioned me to make her yoga bags is now paying me to make her pioneer clothing for the trek she's going on with the youth next month. I'll be making her two dresses, a bonnet, bloomers. This should be a little tricky for me because I'm not used to making adult clothing from patterns. The pattern says it's not a difficult pattern, so I hope that's true. I'm going to try to finish the rest of Adam's cycling clothes this week before her pattern arrives in the mail. I had to turn down her friend who also wanted clothes, though, because I think I would have a hard time with the pressure of all those clothes. I'm just not that great of a seamstress (really!) and it takes me awhile to figure out new things. I still feel a little bad for saying no to someone, but I think I'll be happier just concentrating on one person's stuff. I feel really honored and happy that someone wants to pay me to make them stuff. Every new project increases my skills and rounds me out as a sew-er. Sew-ist. Whatever it is I am!

1 comment:

Jolena said...

I beg to differ on your abilities as a seamstress. It's not about the little errors that only you notice. It's about the finished product everyone loves. And you're doing great with that!