Thursday, June 10, 2010

Mini Color Book

You may remember my color book that I made for my kids last year. That was one of my favorite crafts and both kids like playing with it. Well, I remembered today that a friend of mine is having a baby and I want to give her a little gift. She has other kids, but I really like giving gifts and every baby should be celebrated, right? So, tonight, because my fabric for my nephew's quilt won't be here until tomorrow, I was trying to come up with something to sew. Then I had an idea of making a mini-color book! This is definitely one of the quickest crafts I've done, from idea to conclusion. I think it took about three hours?
I still had an extra wooden ring from the teethers I made, so I decided to attach that for the baby to hold and chew on. I think this red page is my favorite because it includes two fabrics from the yoga bags.
For these color books I like including lots of texture: fur, fleece, felt, silky fabrics.

The green page has fur, fleece, flannel (goodness, lots of "f"s), and minky. The blue page has satin and bamboo velour and microfleece and flannel and knit, as well as normal woven cotton.

(Hey Jolena, recognize your bathrobe? I finally retired it from use and use it for crafts now!)

So there you go. This is such a fun project. Picking out fabric scraps is challenging and fun, and with these being so much smaller than the last book I made, I can use smaller scraps.
Have a great Friday everyone! I've been waiting out some crying from Daniel but it seems like he's fallen back asleep now. I anticipate that he'll wake every two hours or more tonight; it just seems like one of those night.
I'm linking to Show and Tell and Blue Cricket Design, Strut Your Stuff at Somewhat Simple, and Sew & Tell at Amy Lou Who.

SYS Thurs

20 comments:

Sarah Craig said...

What a great idea!! I love the textures and colors you used. Great finish!!

P. said...

That is such a clever idea. Love your use of scraps in such a creative, practical way.

Michelle said...

What a wonderful idea!

Q said...

That's so adorable. Think I'll try this with the rest of my owls from the floormat project. That's awesome!

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Terrific idea! Nice finish:)

Jolena said...

Cute, cute, cute! Turned out just as great as the last ones. And I'm so glad you finally retired the bathrobe. It was always a little scandalous. :) It was okay because Grandma bought it, right? lol

Leslie said...

this is such a great idea...and so fun. i love that you added in the teething ring. great touch

Kristen said...

Cute idea! Mine is always nibbling on her fabric books too!

Jen Poe said...

I've seen these a couple times. I am wanting to make one for the babies coming! It's so useful AND hand made! :) Very good work!

trish said...

Very clever and so cute! :o) Trish

Lizzy @ Lizzy Designs said...

That's a really good idea! Well done. :)

Michelle - Mom of 3 Munchkins said...

What a cute idea! It turned out great!

Diane said...

How cute! great idea

Michelle said...

Very cute!!

Karen said...

Great idea! All those wonderful textures just begging to be touched (and tasted! lol)

Rita E said...

Great post! Thanks for sharing!

Dayna said...

What a clever gift!

Seams Inspired said...

Adorable gift idea! I look forward to viewing all your Sew & Tell's. Happy Sewing! :o)

Lappedamen said...

What a great idea! It's genial, what a nice way to learn about colors. It is lovely.

Jessica said...

How fun! What a great idea and so special for a new baby!