Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A Birthday Bug Quilt

Well I have finished my nephew's birthday quilt! He turned one on Sunday and we celebrated it on Saturday. I didn't have the binding done for his birthday, but I've just now finished and decided to take some pictures quickly before I had to get the baby from his nap.
Katrina decided that it was an awesome new blanket to sit on and I had a really tough time getting pictures without her in them.
Here it is! I got the idea from this Wonky Squares Quilt on Etsy. My sister-in-law and mother-in-law picked out the fabric, and the main fabric they picked out had a bunch of little squares with bugs. I cut out the squares and appliques them onto the quilt front. I added a little square of batting behind each applique to make them stick out a little.


The back of the quilt is just as fun, or more so, than the front! I decided to make bug appliques with minky and satin fabrics. I found some ladybug minky fabric online and just had to buy some.
Isn't it so cute! The quilting was a little tricky--I had to quilt around the appliques on both the front and the back. It makes for some cool patterns.





I was worried about how this quilt would turn out but now I love it so much that I'm sad to give it away! I'm so glad it's going to my family members and I'll get to see my nephew grow into it.
I will be sharing this with Show N Tell at Blue Cricket Design. Strut Your Stuff at Somewhat Simple, and Sew & Tell at AmyLouWho.

SYS Thurs

18 comments:

Cindy said...

So adorable!

Jolena said...

It really did turn out fabulous! Good work!

Tasha's Life said...

Love, love, love it!!!!

Michelle said...

That is just the cutest. quilt. ever.



seriously.

nima said...

wow...it's so cute and adorable...

your little one looks cute too

bevkimmel said...

That is about the cutest quilt I have ever seen--Love it, love, it. It will inspire me to do something like it!

pinksuedeshoe said...

Very cute little quilt, love the little bugs and the ladies on the back!

P. said...

Well, Katrina is just as cute as a bug, so she's a natural with it! Very cute quilt. The back is just as awesome as the front!

Miri said...

Adorable! Love the extra batting behind the appliques!

TheBlackForrist said...

Wow! this is incredible! Such a wonderful and fun design. Great job!

Michelle said...

What an adorable quilt! Katrina is just showing her good taste. :-)

Leslie said...

this is so cute. the back is my absolute favorite

Catherine said...

This is such a fun quilt! Can't decide which side I like best. Great job!

Karen said...

You have done a sensational job with this quilt. It looks great. Perfect for a boy. Love the detail you put on the back too.

ktquilts said...

Great quilt!!! Bet it will be well loved!

Blessings,

KT

Q said...

What a playful quilt! I don't know if I like the front more or the back. I'm sure it'll be loved for a very long time.

Dayna said...

Oh wow! This is so great! What a fantastic gift!

MandMStudio said...

Totally LOVE it:) I must make one, my daughter loves ladybugs