Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Early Intervention evaluation

This morning two therapists from the county came to evaluate Katrina. They brought a bunch of toys and laptops and played with her for maybe an hour while asking me questions. They were very nice ladies and thought Katrina was just the cutest thing. Katrina gets really excited when people come to visit, so after her initial shyness where she needed to hug me, she started running around like crazy and jumping and apparently doing all sorts of things that the therapists wanted to see! Her motor movements, both gross and fine, are just fine, and they were satisfied with her imaginative play and other skills. They were very impressed at her potty training skills, which she was able to demonstrate near the end.

But her speaking skills are definitely delayed, like we thought. However, she's not delayed enough to qualify for the program. She needs to be 25% delayed, so at the level of an 18 month old or so, and they estimate that she's about the level of a 20 month old. So--that's good and bad at the same time. They said to have them come back at the end of the summer and then they'll be able to evaluate her on some more concrete criteria than they can currently use.

It was an enjoyable morning and Katrina thrived on the attention. She's playing happily in her room now, and Daniel woke up and fell back asleep, so I'm free to do anything! I think I might work on my nephew's quilt. I finally came up with a design and can start putting it together. Adam is so excited for his fabric to arrive so I need to work on the quilt while I can, because once the fabric is here he'll be hounding me to work on that! :] (Edited to add: guess what arrived two days early while writing this post? Yep, the fabric.)

Oh, I wanted to mention something cute. On Sunday our home teacher came over with his daughter who is almost exactly two years older than Katrina. She used to be in Nursery with Katrina but is in Sunbeams now. Well, as soon as she saw her friend, Katrina walked over to her and gave her a big hug, and then grabbed her hand, said "Go!" and led the little girl to her bedroom. They had lots of fun and kept erupting in fits of giggles. It was pretty much the cutest thing ever. Her friend came out and said to me once, "Katrina is climbing up on the top of her dresser." I responded, "That's all right, she's allowed, because, well, we can't stop her." Adam later laughed at me and asked what kind of lesson is that going to teach? Oops!

I kind of want to take a nap or read but I'm going to cut out fabric instead. I hope this quilt turns out cute. I had the darnededest time figuring out a design. I hope it works out and that my sister-in-law likes it!

No comments: