Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Craft Fail

I'm sure many of you have heard of Fail Blog. Well, one of the blogs that I read is of the same ilk but is called Craft Fail. To a crafter like me, it's hilarious to see other people's sad attempts at crafting. What you are about to see is something I should probably submit to Craft Fail. The even sadder thing is that I really did know this would turn out horribly but tried it anyway and then kept trying to fix it. Oh well.

Let me tell you where this idea came from. 1. I had a bunch of pretty thread that I saved when I was making fringe for the scarf I sewed last week. 2. Katrina has taken over my jewelry box and my little mannequin jewelry holder is overwhelmed by carrying all of my jewelry, plus I don't have anywhere out of Katrina's reach to put it so she is always getting into my things. I decided to just do a simple jewelry holder where I put hooks on a frame. I bought some hooks and fabric to cover the cardboard. Then I decided that it would be cool if I covered the frame with Mod Podge and sprinkled the thread all over it and then put more Mod Podge on it. Yeah, maybe it would have worked if I had actually sprinkled the thread over it. Instead, I globbed all of it on.
Yeah, it looked disgusting. So I painted it white in a last-ditch effort to make it look better, thinking maybe the texture of the thread underneath would look cool.
Nope.
Eeeeeew.

This is the new frame, complete with fabric. Unfortunately, I can't screw the hooks in by hand like I thought I could, and I don't own a drill, so this is what I'm stuck with for now--a pretty piece of art and lots of hooks. And no jewelry holder!
P.S. Katrina can count to 10 now! She's in her room counting right now. She sometimes skips numbers or says some of them twice, and whenever she sees a number she points at it and says, "nine!" but we're very proud of and impressed with her.

6 comments:

Jolena said...

I'm glad to see you're actually normal and occasionally fail at crafting. :) You should ask around in your ward to borrow someone's drill to finish because that would be such a cute jewelry holder!

Elise said...

TORI! I miss you and your sense of humor. I love that you are able to laugh at yourself.

Good idea on the jewelry holder, though. Really. Be sure to post pictures if you finish one out!

Elise said...

So, I have no idea how these things work, but could you screw in the hooks if you first made a little hole with a hammer and nail? Is this a stupid idea? I don't know! Let us know what you figure out!

Seamingly Sarah said...

It's comforting to see others fail sometimes. But even better is being okay with your own fail. That is something I've had to come to terms with this past year and it's really helped me see my own failures as learning/lessons and something to shrug off with a laugh. I can't wait to see the finished jewelry holder!

Thatcher said...

I have a drill and bits you can borrow. Just call Anne anytime.

Thatcher

Jane said...

Sometimes I am able to nail a larger nail into a board to make a hole for screws.