Monday, May 31, 2010

Adam's first cycling outift

I have completed Adam's first cycling outfit. He's pretty happy with the result. It's a little looser than he wants and not hemmed yet, so I need to work with that. But we had a fun-filled day today in New Jersey and the heat sucked all of the energy out of me, so it will have to wait until tomorrow.
The fabric was really tricky to work with. I got so angry at my machine because it was skipping stitches, and sewing in the chamois pad in the crotch was super stressful. But everything worked out.
I also sewed in the collar upside down and ended up using an invisible zipper when I needed a normal zipper, but it all worked.

Three pockets in the back.

This was a stressful project for me but having Adam be happy with the results makes it worth it. I still need to make another jersey out of red and black fabric and some long tights, and I think I have enough extra fabric to make another blue jersey.
Today Adam got me to ride a bike! The last time I rode a bike was when I was eleven I think. I used to ride my bicycle all the time in California but when we moved to Colorado and there were hills I lost my interest. :[ So this was pretty stressful for me. But it turned out all right and I even enjoyed myself at the end. Hand brakes are definitely tricky! Maybe we'll get me a bike and we'll actually make cycling into a family activity.
This week I'm finishing my nephew's quilt. I also need to make Daniel more diapers. Don't worry, the "cute" diapers I made still fit, but my original All-in-one diapers are too small because I did a few things differently with the elastic and inner fabrics. I do have the Large-sized diapers that I made for Katrina but they are so bulky. So I'm going to buy half a yard of a few different fabrics and make maybe four more diapers. I want to try a different inner fabric because the suedecloth I used irritates Daniel when he gets too hot. I'm going to try bamboo velour, I think. I also am going to try a different pattern because the current one I have just doesn't seem to last Daniel very long in each size.
Anyway, even though I'm getting so much sewing done I need to go to bed earlier. I've been wiped out lately. Last night and the night before I went to bed at 12:30 because I was sewing. That's just not enough sleep for me! So my goal this week is to go to sleep earlier and try to sew more during naptimes.
I'm sharing at Sew N Tell at AmyLouWho.

9 comments:

Evenspor said...

Nice work!

Strtchy fabric is a pain to work with. Stretchy and slippery is worse. This is really impressive.

Cindy said...

I am so impressed! It looks awesome. This would be a HARD project. p.s. invisible zippers look better anyways ;).

shelly said...

You're my hero, Tori! I'm so impressed by what you're able to accomplish and the skills you've got.

Sew It Up Baby! said...

You are brave to make the outfit. I don't even touch knits because it scares me. Your project looks store bought. You did an awesome job on it. Good luck with the diapers and getting some sleep. I know if I don't get my full 8 hrs. I'm Mrs. Grumpy Pants.

Jen Poe said...

girlfriend, you are braver than I! I would have been doomed to screw a big and difficult project like this up! I can't work with stretchy fabric at all! It turned out great!

pinksuedeshoe said...

I'm so impressed I'm speechless. Or type-less, or whatever. Wow, this is AMAZING!

Michelle said...

well done!

Dayna said...

This is amazing. I would be terrified of tackling that project, but yours looks totally professional! Great job! I'm so glad that your husband is pleased!

And way to go for bike riding!

Miri said...

Impressive! WOW!