Saturday, April 3, 2010

Quilt Brag

K, this post will involve lots of pictures. Why? Because I am thrilled with how this quilt turned out. This is my first quilt that's not a wall hanging, and while those were fun to make and turned out nicely, this is exciting because it's for Katrina's bed. I think the finished dimensions are something like 43"x 56". I sewed the binding on today before conference and then spent all my free time the rest of the day hand-stitching it to the back. And since it is much more fun to dwell on how cute this quilt is than how absolutely miserable this day was (Daniel was happy for ten minutes after each meal then cry for the next hour until he napped, and Katrina threw tantrum after tantrum), I will block this day from my mind and concentrate on this lovely creation! Also, I realize that I probably could have ended up with better pictures if I had waited until daytime to take them, but I'm just too impatient to wait until then!
Much thanks to Adam for following my orders of where to stand.
Katrina's room is green and yellow with touches of blue in the border, so I took those colors and added pink for some femininity. Oh, and the theme of her room is frogs and turtles, so this frog fabric caught my eye when I saw it online. It came as a panel and I cut it up.
I did my first appliques on this quilt. They are a bit rough, but I wanted to have the frogs' legs dangling onto the fabric below them, and I wanted to have dragonflies scattered around the quilt.
I did really simple quilting--a line on each side of the main seams. The vertical lines are pink and the horizontal ones are blue. And wow, this picture makes the lines look super crooked.
This looks a bit better. This quilt has a lot of little mistakes, but I am still really happy with it.
I really loved the fabric I chose. Some of it was from the stash of fat quarters that Adam's grandmother bought me for Christmas (best gift ever for a quilter!), and the rest was from Joanns. I'd love to be able to buy designer fabrics someday, but I can only really get those online, and nothing is as good as comparing fabrics side by side in person.
I picked this fabric for the back. It's actually flannel. It is so soft and makes the quilt extra snuggly. It's quilter's flannel, which holds up better than normal flannel. You can't really see the quilting lines in this picture, but they actually look really cool.
And one final shot for good measure.
I am so happy to be finished. Since I have two weeks before her birthday party, I'm going to make her a matching pillow. I have a few more diapers to make to try to figure out my leak issues with the other ones, and then a break. And then I will be making a yoga bag for a friend! Lots on my agenda.
I'm linking to Show and Tell at Blue Cricket Design, Strut Your Stuff at Somewhat Simple, and Sew and Tell at Amy Lou Who.

17 comments:

Jolena said...

I'm so excited you posted this tonight! You're right, it is fantastic! Katrina is going to love this to pieces! She'll have it for years and years and just love it. Way to go Tori! You really did do such a good job.

aleatha said...

Tori, this is really awesome! I was wondering if those dragonflies were appliques, and they are! WOW!

Amber said...

(visiting from BBC) This is adorable!! I love the bright fabric and the frogs are so cute! Great job!

Thora said...

Excellent work! Wonderful choice of fabrics!

Jaime said...

What a cute quilt! I'm a friend of cory ostler and I just started a quilt blog and I would love to feature your creation. You can e-mail me at hugsrfun@gmail.com thanks!

Cindy said...

LOVE IT! It looks fantastic. You did such a good job.

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Very very cute!

Leslie said...

this looks amazing....congratulations on a beautiful quilt

Lesly said...

Such a cute child's quilt! There's so much to look at with all those whimsical prints - I know it will be greatly loved! Great finish!

Michelle said...

That quilt is absolutely adorable! I love the colors, and your frogs and dragonflies look perfect. If you hadn't said they were a first attempt, I'd never have guessed. Your daughter is going to love it. :-)

annettesquilts said...

Love the little touches. Very pleasing to the eye.

Dee said...

What an awesomely pretty quilt from an awesome mommy!

The colors are so happy and the frogs and everything are just adorable!

Congratulations!

Kristen said...

Wonderful finish! I love how you cut it up and did all of the applique. A very sweet quilt.

Visiting from Sew and Tell

Karen said...

Great quilt! I have no doubt your daughter will love it. Kids love colourful quilts.

pinksuedeshoe said...

Oh those colors are just so happy! I'm sure she'll love it, how could she not with those cute little frogs and dragonflies!

Rebecca said...

What a fun quilt! She's going to LOVE it!

Rene' said...

Tori, I can see why you are so happy with this quilt!!!! It is awesome!!! I love all the pictures you showed and the explanation of your process. The quilting lines look great as does the applique! Thank you for sharing!