Wednesday, April 28, 2010

One of my long, meandering posts

I know I have the bad habit of writing really long posts that cover ten different topics--this is one of them, sorry! I sometimes try to kick the habit, but I'm just so darned lond-winded. Does anyone else keep a running list in their head during the day of things that happened that they want to tell their spouse about? Adam and I chat fairly regularly on the computer but I still keep up a list of things to tell him that are funnier/easier to tell in person. I also have a running list of things to share on the blog, which I regularly forget about and then have to try to remember what they all were!

So this diaper isn't finished but I'm done sewing until tonight and felt like blogging now, and what's a good blog post without pictures of either A. my kids or B. my crafts?
I found this idea on a Cloth Diaper Sewing forum I'm on (yes things like that really exist). I'm pretty proud of this diaper because I figured out how to do it just by looking at the other person's pictures and by one comment she made on the techniques. I had to use basically every scrap of PUL (polyurethane laminate) I had large enough to make into a square and still ended up scrounging for scraps, but the result is great!
It just needs to be topstiched and have the velcro sewn on the wings.

I think it looks awesome--possibly my new favorite.
So, children updates. Daniel is sleeping all right--last night he only ate once during the night but woke up a bunch more than that. He usually eats three times at night. It's not too bad--he's a quick eater and I just fall asleep sitting up in bed and then after five or ten minutes I wake up and put him back in his crib. He is starting to grasp toys and likes to laugh. Mostly he just watches me and Katrina all day, though I'm trying to make sure I read to him and interact with him one-on-one. He still has a kind of fussy temperament but when he's in a good mood he's the sweetest little baby.
Katrina is actually a little easier these days. She is still hitting but I just grab her hands and hold them, and then she signs "sorry" and we move on. It's not as good as if she didn't hit, but it works. She likes to scream and throw things too, but at least she says sorry now without me telling her first.
I called Early Childhood Intervention after the doctor recommended it. Her pediatrician wants kids her age to be putting words together, and while her vocabulary is growing, she doesn't string words together. She has a few phrases that are two words long, but they're words we always say in sequence, like "all right," "thank you," and a new one--"nownit (found it)." They are coming in next week for an initial discussion and then will evaluate her. I have mixed feelings about calling them. Relief, because I feel like she needs a little help. Guilt, because I feel like it's my fault for not spending as much one-on-one time with her and by watching tv so much since Daniel was born. Also, I'm wondering if it'll turn out to be nothing and then I'll be embarrassed! Katrina is constantly surprising me with what she does know. She can count to three! We always count before going over speed bumps and so when we're driving she tells me "One, two three, bump!" So I go out of my way to find roads with speed bumps. :] She picked up her foam numbers this morning and said, "nine, nine." I looked over and she was holding the 6 and the 9. I identified them and then we started playing with all of the numbers. I tried to get her to identify the numbers and she couldn't do it correctly, but she is starting to say numbers and recognizes that those particular symbols are numbers, just not which is which. Yesterday she was reading a counting book and saying, "One, two, dree, seben." Unfortunately she seems to have a mental block on colors, but we keep trying to teach them to her.
I'll be interested in how far, if any, her speech is delayed. At her 2-year visit they asked if she could say 20 words. The internet says kids her age should have a vocabulary of 50-100 words. One person said their kids' therapist said they should have a vocab of 250-300 words. I am keeping a running list now with her words. It has six categories: Names, Words she says clearly, Words we understand, Words she tries to say (but take a lot more effort to understand or are so far from the real word that no one else would understand), Words she imitates on a regular basis but never says by herself, and Words that she signs. I'm counting her working vocabulary as the words she can say clearly (including names) plus the words she uses regularly that we understand even if they're not super clear. They come up to 96! I was amazed at that. Plus she's imitating us more and more. I'll purposely end my sentences with easy words because she often will repeat the last word I say, so I try to make it a good one!
Funny things:
--When she's eating a meal in the dining room and I'm in the kitchen or living room feeding Daniel, I'll often hear, "Mom! MOOOOM!" I look over, say "Yes?" and she says. "Mmmm. MMMMMMM!" That's so I know that she likes her food. :]
--I hear a lot of, "Mom? Mom!! Mom!!" and when I look at her and say "Yes?" (she will keep saying "Mom" until I look at her and say yes, just looking or just saying "yes" aren't enough by themselves) she'll respond, "Hi Mom."
--Often when I go in to wake her up in the morning, one of the first sleepy words to come out of her mouth is, "Book?" So I leave a book by her bed sometimes so I can read it to her when she wakes up.
--She loves her little wooden dolls I made for her and I often find them sitting on various surfaces with two of them kissing. She especially loves the Nana and Poppop dolls and the other day Adam said she had a little dialogue between them that consisted of "Hi! "Hi!" and then a kiss.
--If the characters on tv ask the viewer to interact with them, like dancing or doing the "Sprout stretch," she follows along.
--Going out to the car and back takes approximately ten minutes because she wants to go up and down all the many stairs by herself and is really good at dawdling and teaching me patience. :] I typically have enough patience but it is definitely stretched if Daniel is on the verge of screaming.
K, that's all about Katrina for now! And I can't promise that I won't post again tonight when I finish my Russian fabric diaper. I'm nearly done with diapers. Just this patchwork one, the Russian one, and once I get it in the mail, a Toy Story fabric applique one. I decided against the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle one for now, though it's cute fabric.
One last thing. A couple of months ago I heard of several people who got their student loans forgiven if they had a balance of less than $1000. I thought to myself how awesome that would be if it happened to me. I felt guilty for doing so, but I said a prayer asking if maybe I could have my loan forgiven too, especially because we've been sacrificing and working so hard to pay it off quickly. The next month my bill arrived like normal and I figured the time had passed where they were writing off loans (for tax purposes, since UHEAA is a non-profit organization, they forgive loans if they extra funds at the end of the year). Last week I made my final payment! Hooray! Then a few days later I checked my account and I owed 12 cents in interest. Erg! I called and they said it would be written off. A few days after that I checked just to see if the 12 cents was gone and to my surprise, my last payment (a large one too) was back in my account as a credit. A phone call later, it turns out they did forgive my loan! We actually found the letter yesterday where they informed me of it. It had gotten lost on the counter under the junk mail that I was waiting to recycle. So that's my story of a direct answer to my prayer and it reaffirms my testimony that the Lord blesses us for being responsible people and doing our part, plus he knows all the things that are important to us, even if they don't mean much in the long run (like one month of a loan payment).

1 comment:

Elise said...

Tori, I like your long rambling posts! I think Daniel and William must be a lot alike. William is finicky and such too, but he is also sweet when he is happy. I guess that is our consolation, right? (At least, that is what I tell myself.)

And if/when you do get Katrina evaluated, I think you will really enjoy the experience. The people always do a great job and they never make you feel like it is your fault (it isn't, TV doesn't make it so your child has problems talking), and they are always very complimentary about the good things your child does which will make you feel really good :). Also, it is really interesting to learn more about your child and what people really look for as far as development goes (how they swallow, how they move, etc.).

So. . .yeah. All that to say that I think you will enjoy the evaluation process. And don't worry, if it's all over and done with and there is no real delay, you won't feel silly and they won't think you're silly in the slightest!