Monday, April 19, 2010

Emergency Preparedness

I don't know how many of you have a decent food storage, but we don't. It is something that has bothered me in the past but it just hasn't felt like we can devote the energy and money into it at the time. Plus there's the fact that if I buy food that I'm never going to use (like dried refried beans), then it feels like a waste of money. It's hard to figure out a balance between buying the necessities for survival and buying a rotating food storage.

But a couple months ago I came across the document at this link. I immediately liked it because unlike other not-so-clear-cut counsel (ranging from "buy a few extra cans of food a week" to "a person needs a x bags of flour for a month"), this tells me exactly what to buy. I showed it to Adam and he liked it too. But then I kind of backed away from the idea because nowhere did it tell me exactly how long this supply of food was supposed to last, and I kind of wanted to have a better idea of how much food I'm storing. Then a few weeks passed, I heard the news of several more small earthquakes, and I started feeling a growing urgency again to prepare. After all, "if ye are prepared, ye shall not fear," and we are not prepared. We have had a couple of power outages since living here, one in the middle of winter, and we were sadly ill-equipped. We have a handful of flashlights (which are all in the wrong places--I have no idea where any of them currently are, though I suspect several have been lost in the black hole of Scout campouts), some matches but no candles, and food for a couple of days. So this list appeals to me because it gives not only a list of specific foods to get, but first aid and hardware store objects too.

Well, I found this list at another link with more information, and it turns out that it's only intended to give you 3-7 days worth of food and supplies. While that doesn't seem like much, it is enough to get through most natural disasters. If we follow this plan for six months, then we'll be in really good shape in case of an emergency. After that we can work on a three-month supply like our church leaders have counseled. And years from now, when we have a house and a basement, we can work on a year's supply.

So I just thought I would share this helpful link because I know there are several readers of this blog who are in exactly the same situation as us--in a small apartment with limited space and limited budget. We have been trying hard to have Family Home Evening each week and this list also creates ready-made FHEs for the next six months. Well, for the adults at least. For FHE with Katrina we talked about how Sunday is a special day where we are reverent.

3 comments:

sb said...

When we moved here, David was insistent that we needed a year's supply of basics. We bought wheat, sugar, oats, rice, beans, and a little bit of supplemental stuff like cornmeal, powdered milk, and potato flakes. With proper storage, all these things last 20+ years, so our current plan is to not worry about rotating them right now. The church has a calculator on the Provident Living website that I used to determine how much of the basics we'd need for a year and went from there. It ultimately didn't require as much work as I'd anticipated, but I understand what you mean about it being difficult to determine what you need when everything seems to be so vague and subjective. Good luck getting it all together!

Elise said...

I love this list; I've never seen anything like it before. I love that it incorporates things other than food in such a detailed process. I'll definitely have to remember this.

lizkachu said...

Good for you for doing this! I use this site for our emergency supplies. You might want to check it out too - it's also a great 72 hour kit. http://beprepared.com/