Saturday, January 9, 2010

Diaper Bag Pictures!

I am almost finished with my diaper bag! All that is left is the strap, but since my hardware to make it adjustable didn't arrive today, I'll have to finish the strap later. So sadly, I can't use it tomorrow at church, but I can still take pictures to share with everyone! :]


First, here is the tutorial that I used. I decided I wanted a messenger bag that could go across my front because I often find that my bag slips off my shoulder when I am carrying multiple children and other things, and that's really inconvenient. I mostly followed the tutorial, just making a few adjustments for aesthetic or lack of fabric reasons. I bought the fabric Wednesday, worked on it after Katrina's bedtime and during naptimes since then. I ended up using some interesting fabric choices because I was looking at the discounted fabric and got a little flustered because both babies started crying. I picked up some black nylon for the outside, some red suede as an accent, and some vinyl for the inside like the instructions direct. Except I picked up the wrong kind--I intended to get the kind like you find in tablecloths, but ended up getting some faux leather, like you would use for upholstery. I totally knew better, but oh well. It ended up working really well because the bag has a nice sturdy weight to it. I did have to use the black for the inside pockets, and I ran out of it because I am also going to make a changing pad with it. It worked out though.

Two pockets in front and on the sides, and you can't see it, but there are magnets sewn in both the flap and the front pockets. I didn't want to use the silver magnets purse closures because I can never get them to be very secure, so I sewed magnets inside. Unfortunately, they aren't very strong magnets and they don't keep the flap closed, so it just relies on its own weight.

Inside. Very roomy. I still have to fix some of the binding, just in case you noticed.

I like the little hints of red on the insides of all of the pockets. It's a really pretty fabric and I will probably make myself a wallet out of it.

Here it is with the main contents of the backpack I'm currently using as a diaper bag.
So there you go! I'm really happy with it and Adam thinks it looks really nice, which makes me feel good. I'm excited to start using it!


giveaways
DIY Day @ ASPTL
I am sharing at Amylouwho as well.

13 comments:

Tasha's Life said...

Tori, that is awesome!! You are amazing! I so wished you lived closer and that we could visit each other often and do projects together and have the kids play together. Sigh. I did bridals today. I haven't seen the pictures yet, but when I do, I'll send you some. I'm loving your dress!!!!! Love ya!!

sb said...

It looks great, Tori! Nice work! It would be so fun to have "crafting cousins" get-togethers. Maybe when we're old and don't have small children...

Chris, Jessica, Mackenzie, & Alison said...

Look at you super mom! The bag looks great!

Jolena said...

I love it! I'm totally going to make one like it when I have kids!

Evenspor said...

Nice!

Cindy said...

Very impressed. It looks great! I love seeing the projects that you are working on.

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

This is a bag my husband would actually carry too! I love it!

vanessa said...

This turned out great! I love it.

pinksuedeshoe said...

I am impressed. Totally impressed!

amylouwho said...

really amazing! I'm a little nervous about sewing on those kinds of fabrics.

thanks for sharing!

Leslie said...

great job, this is amazing.

Rene' said...

Great project. Love the way it turned out. Thanks for sharing.

Heather said...

Wow, that's an ambitious project! And you did a great job on it. Looks fantastic! ;o)