Saturday, December 5, 2009

Bringing Home Baby

We're home! We decided to come home a little early and were excited last night to introduce Katrina to Daniel. Well, the discharge took longer than we wanted and we had to get her out of bed to come and meet him. She was pretty happy to see me (she had seen Adam a couple of times) and then when we showed her the baby, she was thrilled. She was crouching down by his carseat and staring at him with a gigantic smile. Then she tried to unbuckle him from his carseat. I was impressed that she knew exactly how to do it, just without the necessary strength. Daniel got poked and prodded a few times by her and I think she approves. Of course, then we put her to bed and especially with it being so late, she cried for awhile. Daniel cried too because he's been one little bundle of gas and it really bothers him, so Nana was probably quite relieved to leave! I took the opportunity to "nap" from 9 to 10:30 in preparation for what I knew would be a long night.

Sure enough, it was pretty miserable. After the 11:00 feeding I couldn't fall asleep because of my nap. Daniel, like I said, was super gassy and his little high-pitched screams were so miserable. We alternated who was walking the floor with him, patting his back, shoving a pacifier in his mouth, etc. I nursed him like crazy. Adam got to sleep during each feeding, so he's going off of a little more sleep than me, but not much. I finally latched on the baby while laying down, so I got in about an hour and a half of sleep before I jolted back awake and had to move the baby because I can't really relax while cosleeping. Then he woke. Sigh. It didn't get any better. Katrina saw the light on and ran in at 6:30. Then again at 6:45. Then we confined her to her room and didn't let her out until 7:30. Adam somehow managed to calm Daniel down and last I saw, was curled up in a ball at the end of the bed next to the bassinet. Katrina and I are up and starting the day.

Katrina is so heavy! After carrying this little 7 pound baby for several days, her 25-pound body feels massive. She also seems so grown up. She has been communicating with me more than usual with her signs. Oh, yesterday when we got home I showed her that my big belly was gone. She ran up to me and started running her hands over my belly, making little noises of, I don't know, maybe concern? It was pretty cute. She misses her Nana and Gigi the dog already, but they will be back in a couple of days and I seem to be a good substitute in the meantime. :]

Today we need to go to the pharmacy and get me antibiotics (can I just say how horrible it is to have a bad cough and stitches?), Motrin, Mylicon gas drops and gripe water for Daniel, and a few other necessaries. Oh, and we have to go to the pediatrician. Our day is already full! Sleep is somewhere on the schedule. Daniel likes to sleep hours at a time during the day, so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to find time for a nap while he and Katrina are sleeping this afternoon.

We've been trying to take more pictures and will post them eventually. The laptop is in the car. And now, I need to go turn off the tv, because I've had to watch my two least favorite shows this morning (Play With Me Sesame and the Wiggles) and I can't really handle much more of it.

No comments: