Monday, October 19, 2009

Hospital Tour

As soon as Adam got home tonight I rushed him to the table and then out the door. We had our hospital tour scheduled and I wanted to make sure we had enough time to drop Katrina off at our friends' house and park in the parking garage. We managed to make it all work out. The tour was nice and informative. There wasn't too much that was a surprise. We did find out that you can't use cell phones at all in Labor and Delivery, so there won't be as many real-time updates for family like before. Adam was bummed that they don't have snacks available for the fathers like Orem Community. The rooms are smaller than the suite we had for Katrina's birth. But they have a rocking chair! That's pretty cool. I also will be allowed to walk around and won't be confined to my bed. And they'll let me bring my birth ball, which is nice. The saddest part is that Katrina won't be allowed to come visit me in the hospital at all. No one under 16 is allowed in the Maternity Unit (well, probably the entire hospital). I am really bummed but I had expected it because so many other people on my December babies birth board have said that their hospitals have instituted that same policy.

Katrina enjoyed her time at our friends' house so much that we had to drag her away kicking and screaming. Luckily we have a few weapons in our arsenal, and "The Wheels on the Bus," "Old MacDonald," "Pattycake", and "The Itsy-Bitsy Spider" calmed her down. Have I mentioned that Katrina has signs for when she wants me to sing her favorite songs? Fingers together for the spider song, random waving of arms (in a way that I'm sure only I could interpet) means Pattycake, and pointing at her cheeks indicates "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes." It's cute.

Today she refused to take a nap. That was exciting. However, she spent a couple hours in her room, part of it playing and part of it in her crib. So I guess I got some break after all. I sure hope she doesn't make a habit of this. Maybe that means she'll fall asleep quickly tonight. I can hear her banging around in there now. I'm not really sure what she does at night. During the day she empties out drawers and plays on her rocking horse. At night she usually moves everything on her bed, blankets, pillow, stuffed animals, onto the floor in front of the door. If we leave any toy near the door we can hear her playing with that. Sometimes it takes her over an hour to fall asleep. You'd think it would be boring but she seems to entertain herself pretty well.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

The maternity unit in all of the hospitals here are the same, no one under 16 to try to keep the swine flu out. Too bad Katrina won't be able to come visit :(.