Thursday, October 1, 2009

Case of the Missing Shelf

Adam was on sole parent duty last night while I went to a doctors appt and visiting teaching (why yes, it was the very last day of the month!). It was a crazy evening. First I spent about two hours total making dinner and it took so long that I had to just put it in the oven, eat a bowl of cereal, and then leave for my appt. I made Chicken Pot Cupcakes. I don't know why it took so long. All I know is that it did. I stuck on the tv for Katrina and she must have watched it for a whole hour before Adam came home. I really think that is a big part of why she quickly became so cranky. I like to break it up more and just watch an hour a day total, half an hour before breakfast and half an hour while I'm making dinner. Anyway, she was a mess. I was annoyed at something totally unrelated and which I would really like to vent about but won't, and then I had to leave without eating the dinner I had just made, so I'm sure she was feeling my irritation too. Poor Adam had to deal with the resulting meltdown. Luckily, I missed it all! :] Plus, my doctors appointment went really well. It was the first female doctor in the practice that I have met with, and I liked her a lot better than the men. Not that they are bad, just very rushed and they don't like having to explain anything.

Anyway, when Adam came home from work he asked me where one of the shelves was on the shelf unit where we keep the DVDs. I had no idea and figured it was underneath the piles of DVD cases that Katrina had thrown everywhere. Adam spent all evening looking for that shelf! Under the couch, in Katrina's room, in our room, in the toy chest. It had disappeared! When I came home I looked too. It wasn't until later that Adam was staring at it and said suddenly, "I know where the shelf is!" I looked at him and said, "It's on top of the other one, isn't it!" It was. She had pulled it off and put it on top of the one underneath. Maybe she was trying to camouflage it by hiding it in plain sight, like on the tv show she was watching while I made dinner. :]

At nights Katrina likes to sit against the door in her room and bang her head backwards against it. It's really distracting and occasionally I'll go in and move her to her bed just to stop herself from killing off brain cells. Last night she banged against the door so much that she got it to ricochet open (we never close it all the way). We peeked down the hallway, saw the open door, and waited for the inevitable. Sure enough, a moment later she came running out with her blanket, a huge triumphant grin on her face. It was cute. She fell asleep on the floor again. We definitely have to check each night before we go to bed. I just tried to get her to take a nap in her bed and not the crib, but after about 15 minutes of playing she got bored and started banging on the door, so I moved her to the crib and she is quiet now. It sure is nice that we can still corral her somewhere!

No comments: