Thursday, September 17, 2009

Big Girl Bed

I am having a major mommy moment because we put Katrina to bed tonight in her toddler bed instead of the crib. My baby is a baby and needs to sleep in a crib! That's what part of me is saying. But the other part of me is the part that really wants her transitioned before the baby comes so we don't have to deal with that stress later on.

We put her in the toddler bed and sang to her several primary songs while she kept trying to get out. And then Adam left and I kept singing to her while struggling to keep her in. Finally I left, and unlike previous times when we have given this a tentative try, she didn't cry. However, she did talk and play for like an hour. That is pretty common, but when she's in her crib it's different--we know where she is! We watched tv for awhile and occasionally went up to her door to listen and try to hear where she was. A few times she scratched at the door. Once, we heard a loud thump. We're pretty sure that was her falling asleep and falling over. Eventually we went in, opened the door slowly, and moved her from the floor next to the door to the bed. She woke up, and tried to get off the bed, but halfway off she gave up and just laid there, so I quickly threw some blankets on the floor to cushion any possible falls and we left. We just went in again and she was very asleep, so I call this a success! Now we just need to see what happens if she wakes up in the middle of the night or if she wakes up early tomorrow. And I feel the same sort of mommy angst I felt when she abruptly went from 4 to 1 nursings a day. :[ Growing up is hard on parents!

1 comment:

Elise said...

Aww, I feel ya. It's tough to see the kids lose all the babyness--they'll never get it back! Makes me sad. But for what it's worth, I do think you're smart to try to transition her now. Might not make a difference, but you never know. Hang in there; she's very bright and will figure it out pretty soon. She's got your genes, after all!