Friday, July 24, 2009

Pioneer Day craziness

Somehow I went from agreeing to play violin for the Pioneer Day campout to planning and organizing a group to play prelude and accompany the songs, to being the sole performer. Bleh. There will possibly be a teenager from our ward there with me to play flute, but I'm not holding my breath. I also haven't practiced in a week and a half, so I need to do some serious playing when Katrina wakes up. I am still hoping that it will be raining and then I won't have to play! It would have been much better, but our guitar player had an emergency appendectomy this week. Oh well.

I have a baby shower tomorrow for a friend and decided to make some homemade presents. I found this tutorial online for teething rings, and I am going to make a simple chenille and flannel blanket. Little projects like that make me really happy. Unfortunately, because I don't have much of a stash of fabric and supplies, whenever I want to do a "cheap and easy" craft project online, it usually ends up costing $20+ in order to buy all of the supplies. That adds up, so that's part of the reason I haven't been doing very many projects lately (and I lost all motivation when I got pregnant. That's the main reason!). I have been working on my other quilt hanging in the evenings and that is fun to work on again. Since we will be having this baby at the beginning of December, you can imagine how nervous I am getting about Christmas and gifts this year. Yes, we typically buy most of our presents online anyway, but I'd be happier to get gifts out of the way earlier rather than later this year. For that reason, and in a possibly vain attempt to save money, I am trying to think of as many handmade projects I can do in the next few months rather than wait until November to buy gifts. I have a few ideas. I am definitely being bitten by the crafting bug this week, I can tell. I spend my extra time during Katrina's naps looking for good craft blogs and websites. I can't really find any I like. There are lots of craft ideas out there, but many are rather corny or directed towards kids. Or they have expensive materials. My favorite resource currently is the SewMamaSew blog, because they have showcased a bunch of projects last November and the one before that to give people holiday gift ideas.

I also have been counting calories lately. My weight started rising quickly these last two weeks and I've been despairing, since I was doing so well up until now. Surprisingly, I'm not getting as many calories as it tells me I'm supposed to get. So I'm eyeing what I eat and trying to get more protein and veggies, since those are my weak areas. But two days ago I ate when I was hungry, I had seconds for both lunch and dinner, I ate fairly balanced, and I ended up eating less than 1400 calories. So I probably need to eat more.

1 comment:

Elise said...

Ah, Calorie counting. What a pain! I'm impressed that you know your numbers so well. Although I'm sure you know it's probably just the pregnancy telling your body to hoard all the food for later.

And if you find any great craft blogs or sites or have any brilliant ideas like you always do, let me know! I'm always on the lookout for stuff like that. And post your pictures when you're done. You always do such a great job.