Thursday, April 2, 2009

Blankets, Quilts, and Big Fat Spiders

Katrina has a blanket that she loves. My friend gave me the blanket at my baby shower and it matches Katrina's froggy theme in her room. It's chenille and so soft, and since day one I've used it in Katrina's crib, along with a blanket my sister crocheted or a fleece blanket from my mom. We didn't really realize how much Katrina was attached to this blanket until a couple of months ago. When going to Utah for Jolena's wedding, we brought it with us. Without fail, she would grab it and stuff it in her mouth whenever she saw it, and it always calmed her down.

Normally the blanket stays in the crib. But on very special occasions, like when the baby is very sick and sad (or just nimble and grabs it while daddy is taking her out, like this morning), she gets to carry it around outside of her crib. This is from last week.
Two sickies.

And this is from about half an hour ago. See? Blanket in hand, afghan next to her, Victor-clone and her new thrift store froggy pillow to her left. And a huge grin on her face because Mommy came in.

Now this is the finished product of the quilt I made for the living room. I still plan on making another one, but I sure need a break. Plus, I have to buy new machine needles and thread. I only have one, super heavy duty needle left that works for seams but not for quilting.

It needs to be ironed so the sides lay flat.

I don't like showing a close-up, because the quilting is pretty awful in some places. It ended up with really uneven stitching. But it was an adventure, I suppose. First I handquilted circles all over, and then I machine quilted stippling. I ended up having to hand quilt some stippling too, and I think I might just do that for the next one.

The back looks kind of cool.
And here is what happens to huge spiders that come into my house--imprisonment!

You can't tell, but it's really big. So big that I could barely bear to get close enough to put the bowl on top. I am really distrubed because it is the second one like this in the last couple of weeks. The first one I killed by throwing shampoo bottles at it. This one will hang out all day until Adam can take care of it.
Katrina is coughing up a storm in the bedroom, so I think this nap pretty much failed. She is not going to be happy today. I better go get her.

6 comments:

Momza said...

First, isn't so sweet when babies attach themselves to blankets?!
Second, I wish I knew how to quit as good as you--it is lovely!
and thrid...you don't need to throw shampoo bottles at spiders. Just wad up some newspaper or grab a shoe and whack it! lol
Hope u girls feel better soon!

Jolena said...

I love that picture of you and Katrina! That one's going to need to be in an album somewhere. So cute how cuddly she is.

The quilt is amazing! I'm so impressed with how it turned out. I can't believe it's your first one! Think what you'll be able to do in the future if this one can come out so well without knowing anything about quilting. You're awesome sis!

Cindy said...

Your quilt is gorgeous. I am so impressed with your skills. Maybe when I have money I will commision a quilt to be made for me by you.

Jessi, DJ, Annica and Eli said...

It seems like you two have been sick for so long! I am so sorry! YOur quilt is beautiful! when we were in Virginia beach I was in a quilting group-- I am REALLY not goo at it. But yours is so beautiful! Did you hand quilt that? how did you get the circles on there? ( I really want to know!)

Oh and I think it is HILARIOUS that you threw shampoo bottles at a spider and actually killed it! thats awesome!

Evenspor said...

The quilt really is impressive. It turned out great. I'm especialy impressed that you stippled on a regular sewing machine. If I need something machine quilted, I give it to my mother-in-law or the lady at the quilt store in town to do on a long arm machine.

Kirst said...

That quilt is awesome...I've been wanting to try to quilt and I think you've ispired me. I absoulutly love the circles on it.
Oh, and you must either have really good aim or lots of shampoo bottles.