Saturday, March 28, 2009

Anyone know how to conquer a cold?

Does anyone know how to conquer a stuffed nose? My sinuses have so much pressure on them sometimes that I feel like I'm being smothered. I've tried showers, head over a pot of boiling water, Afrin nasal spray, sudafed, breathing in cool outside air, and even altoids.

Last night Katrina had a hard time getting to sleep again, so we were a little slow to respond to her each time she cried in case she would stop soon and fall back asleep. But one time her cries were very sudden and seemed especially urgent. I walked in to see a kind of funny sight: her legs were both sticking out of the side of the crib up to her thighs and were obviously stuck there. I felt bad for her of course, but it was a little amusing too. I bet it hurt though; one of her legs was jammed in pretty tight and I had a hard time getting it unstuck. We have these breathable bumpers that are really nice for some peace of mind about SIDS (if she gets her face stuck in the side, she can still breathe through the bumpers), but the one on the side that drops slides down really easily. I'm just glad that I decided to respond right away instead of leaving her like I was tempted to do.

1 comment:

Elise said...

Oh, I noticed those bumpers when you showed pictures of your nursery. I hadn't seen one before; they look neat!

As far as a cold. . .I am not the right person to give you advice because I usually try unsuccessfully to ignore it. I have found that honey lemon tea gives a little relief (lemon juice and water heated, then mix in honey), but you probably already know about this one.

Have you tried dayquil/nyquil? It seems like I know several people who swear by them. Vick's vapo rubs? You'll have to let me know if you find something that works.