Monday, February 9, 2009

Mama trauma

We had a little incident this afternoon. It was the first time I've watched Katrina injure herself, I think. I've injured her (with baby nail cutters!), the doctors have poked her with needles, and she's had plenty of scratches from her own nails and bumps from falling over. In fact, she falls over a lot, so I just try to keep a watch on her and catch her if I'm near.

Today she was hanging out next to the coffee table, like she loves to do. It's a low one, so it's the perfect height for her to rest her elbows on and play with toys. She loves to either have a pacifier in each hand or a measuring cup. Anyway, she was happily playing when she toppled over. I'm not sure exactly how, since it looked like she dropped straight down as if her feet had been knocked out from underneath her. I'm betting she just went to the side but it looked straight down from my angle. Anyway, her chin banged really hard on the coffee table. I scooped her up right away and tried to pull her hands away from her mouth. For some reason, I'm really paranoid that she's going to chip her teeth. Her teeth looked whole, but there was blood on the top of her tongue. I figured out pretty quickly that since she only has teeth on the bottom, she must have bitten through her tongue completely. Since she wouldn't let me see under her tongue, this wasn't confirmed until later on, when she happened to stick it out and I saw the two puncture marks underneath. I think only one tooth went through, however.

Right after it happened, I have to admit, all I could think of was whether I should call my mom or Adam so they could tell me what to do. Instead, I ran and got a wet paper towel. I shoved it into her mouth and she sucked on it. For as traumatized as she was, she recovered really fast. The gulping sobs ended pretty much as soon as the bleeding stopped. I cuddled her close for a few minutes, but then I put her in her high chair and she happily gobbled down cheerios, cheese, strawberries, and peas (hungry girl! she hasn't gained weight in over a month so she needs lots of food). The only bad thing is that she demands to stand all the time, so I have to let her play against the coffee table still and just park myself right behind her. She's already fallen once more since then (the dogs were demanding my attention, which kept me from catching her), though she didn't smack her face or head that time. During Family Home Evening I let her stand there and caught her several times. I'm not sure why she's suddenly so fall-prone, when she's actually really steady on her feet.
Here are some pictures of the past couple of days.
She was tripping over her pajamas today while playing with the lion, so I took them off and let her play more before dressing her. Oh, and all of these are lower quality cell phone pictures. I took them to send to Adam at work.

Very happy baby!
We kept Daddy company at work on Saturday for a couple of hours. Katrina got to eat off Mommy's jacket.
More walking from today. Look at that belly! She's actually still only 19 lbs. She was that weight at Christmas. She also hasn't grown much taller. I'm not too worried, but we'll see what the doctor says at her appointment next week. Besides, her head is still in the 80th percentile, so it makes up for her 23rd percentile height, right?
And here's the happy baby again. She loves eating peas, I discovered yesterday. She grabs handfuls and shoves them in. No more pureed veggies, hopefully!
So that's all that's going on here. I could go on about Adam's day at work, but let's just say, he's stuck between a rock and a hard place. I told him that I'm just glad he's honest and hard-working, because sometimes you just can't make people happy. Not that that makes much sense to anyone, but you can be content knowing that he had a difficult day and has a difficult week ahead, but managed to keep his head above water by doing his best and working hard. Man, I love that guy. :] Plus, he looked extra sharp in his new shirt and his bull-and-bear cufflinks. Oh, and his borrowed tie. Good thing the bishop has lots of ties that he can borrow, because he forgot his own! Oh well, he won't mind Adam using his.
I'm off to go enjoy the cookies that Adam and the kids just made. We had family home evening with them and I think I put together a very nice lesson on the spot. Now it's time for dessert!

3 comments:

Momza said...

You are such a good mommy, Tori!Katrina is one blessed baby girl to have you!

Momza said...

Ps --Congrats on your parents mission call!

Amanda said...

Oh, how scary. Poor baby girl. I'm glad she is okay!

Oh, and you did a great job reacting to a crisis! I don't know if I would do that good, I kinda freaked out just reading it!