Monday, January 26, 2009

Work is fun

I'm still basking in my success for the day. I was very productive all day and because of that, our home is much cleaner and we were both well fed for dinner!

Last night I fell asleep while Adam was at stake priesthood meeting, and so when we went to bed, I laid awake until after 1:00. During that time I fantasized about getting all of the cleaning done today. What a thrilling fantasy, right? Well, even though I didn't get a whole lot of sleep, I woke up with a desire to accomplish as much as possible. So even before I went to the computer for my daily email/blog/bank account check, I plopped Katrina on the bed and got working. I cleaned up the floor in the master bedroom, which still had two half-full suitcases from our Utah trip and several other piles of clothing. I did three loads of laundry and folded a fourth. I ironed Adam's dress shirts (I have never done that, and he has only ironed them a couple of times himself, so he will be overwhelmed this week with the choice he'll suddenly have!), fed Katrina breakfast, played a few minutes, put her down for a nap, cleaned the living room, checked the internet, read my book, got Katrina up and fed her, headed to KMart with her in the stroller to pick up some new makeup and storage drawers for my sewing nook, played with her and fed her lunch, put her down for another nap, started going through the Bloggy Giveaways Carnival, got a call from Adam about dinner and threw it into the crockpot, got Katrina up, and played until Adam got home. Then we went to the post office, dropped off my library books, went to the store to try to find Adam's wallet, came home and ate, organized my sewing stuff into the drawers, put Katrina to bed, had family home evening, watched the newest House, cleaned out the closet so the maintenance men can get to the water heater tomorrow, and then did more bloggy giveaway stalking. And now I'm blogging. Whew. I am very satisfied with my day. I also have figured out that if I want to get any cleaning done, I need to do it very first thing after feeding Katrina in the morning and before getting on the computer. That way she'll be at her happiest and it will help my productivity for the rest of the day. Tomorrow I want to clean the bathrooms and vaccuum. Actually I don't. Those are my least favorite chores of all. But maybe if I plan it now it will get done.

So days like this are few and far between for me, but they help me feel better about myself, which I struggle with these days.

So this is what I made for dinner: Applesauce Slow-cooker Pork

-Pour a layer of applesauce in the bottom of the crockpot
-Mix together rosemary, thyme, marjoram, salt, pepper, and mint (next time I'll skip the mint).
-Layer the pork loins on top of the applesauce. Sprinkle the mixed herbs over each pork loin.
-Slice apples and onions. Layer them on top of the pork.
-Dollop more applesauce on top. Later on I mixed it up with the apples and onions. I also sprinkled the rest of the herbs on top.

I cooked it on high for two hours and then on low for another hour. It was delicious, if a little odd. Adam liked it, but I think I liked it more. Katrina sure loved it! It may not become a staple, but it was novel and fun and I enjoyed making it up. I got the ideas for which herbs to put in mostly from a recipe, but I made up the rest.

Me, me, me. I'm wonderful! Sorry if it sounds like that. But like I said before: I struggle mightily with self-esteem these days, so when I feel good I make sure to enjoy the moment!

2 comments:

Deidre said...

I think there is something about being a stay at home Mom that makes your emotional health (self esteem) a little crazy at times. I can totally relate. Good work today!

JenniferB said...

Enjoy your successes -- you deserve them and to feel good about yourself! And it is your blog/journal, so you should be talking about yourself equally as much as you share things about your daughter and husband. We love you Tori! Take care of yourself!