Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Today's project

So I hesitate to share this because I'm afraid you'll all dislike it, but at the same time I'm going to share it anyway because it made me really happy to make this.

I had a complicated thought process the other day that led to me buying some paint and brushes from JoAnn fabrics and some metal platters from eBay in order to make some art for above our bed. I have had a desire for something there that could tie together the blue and gold pillows and go along with the other art I have on the wall. Then I decided to make something myself!

My taste in art definitely broadened and improved while studying Humanities at BYU. Well, I think my taste improved, but some people might say that it got worse! :] I am pretty sure that many will look at these and think, "Okay, umm, that's nice." That was Adam's first impression (after the confusion of trying to figure out what they were). Even though I don't think it's really his thing, he gave me lots of kudos for being creative and will probably be used to them in no time at all. I'm still not sure how happy I am with the result, but then again, I'm pretty satisfied when I remember the fact that I'm not an artist.
This was my work station.
Here is the finished product. In my head my theme for my bedroom has been "Fire and Water," so I worked with that. I am least happy with the gold platter, but I already washed it off and restarted once, and I'm running out of gold, so I'm leaving it for now. That's the nice thing about acrylics on metal--if I really decide to nix these, I can always wash them off and use them for something else. They're really quite nice platters. Or I can always go back and add more layers of paint. Acrylics dry super fast, which is helpful or annoying!
Here they are with the fabric I bought for a long pillow (blue) and pillow covers (yellow). The color of the paint looks weird here. Oh, and I'm happy that the blue couch pillow that I stick between my knees to help my back when I sleep will finally be a part of the decorating scheme!

And this shows part of the large space above our bed and one of the pieces of eBay art I bought. I also plan on buying some over-the-door moulding from Home Depot and painting it black, then hanging it above the bed. It will look kind of like a mantel and it will stick out far enough that I can probably just rest the platters on it and not have to worry about how to hang them.

Why metal platters? I don't know really, but I didn't want to have to buy more stretchers for canvas and these appealed to my aforementioned odd style taste since graduating. I used both normal and metallic paint that has a nice sheen, especially against the reflective metal of the platter. I think they look better in person than in pictures, but I'm also prejudiced because I made them. :]

And finally, I took pictures of Katrina while she was staring at herself in a mirror the other day. She couldn't get enough of it. Cute, huh? :]

4 comments:

Momza said...

Oh Tori! It looks like you had fun today--and "art" is always subject to the observer, if I'm correct. SO, paint on whatever you want and enjoy being an "Artist"!

Evenspor said...

Cool. :)

Elise said...

Tori, I think this is a really cool design concept. I'm excited to see pictures of the room when it is all put together!

Abbie H. said...

Thanks for stopping by the blog.

I think they look great. The brush strokes (mainly in the middle one) reminds me of how van Gogh meshes his colors together.

Like this one:
http://www.penwith.co.uk/artofeurope/van_gogh_wheatfield_with_crows.jpg

BTW-you have a very cute family!