Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Come what may, and love it

Adam called me this morning to tell me that Elder Wirthlin died. For those of you who don't know, Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin was a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of our church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He was 91 and has been looking older and older lately, so it was no surprise. But it made me reflect on his most recent talk, "Come what may, and love it." It is about how we react to adversity. He tells us that while we don't have to live in a perpetually sunshine-y state and ignore the realities of our challenges and hard times, our reaction to those challenges determines whether we grow from them or not. He talks about learning to laugh, seeking for the eternal, understanding what he calls the principle of compensation, and trusting in God the Father and his son, Jesus Christ. I just re-read the talk and received some new insights. I have especially enjoyed Elder Wirthlin's talks at General Conference over the last few years. Just a couple conferences ago, he gave a talk on charity. Partway through it, he started trembling violently. Apparently he had locked his knees, I heard later on. Anyway, we all had a hard time concentrating on his talk because he looked like he would keel over any minute. I could see President Eyring behind him on the verge of jumping up, but Elder Nelson, who is a physician, jumped up first. He stood behind Elder Wirthlin and supported him so he could finish the talk. It was a really precious moment.

So anyway, I am glad for these wonderful men who lead and guide our church and who are so receptive to the Spirit. I am grateful for continuous revelation and for the Restoration of the Church through the prophet Joseph Smith. I have been trying to do better lately with my personal scripture study and it has been really making a difference in my day-to-day life. I also started writing in my journal again every night and it really helps me see things in a new light. If you haven't read that talk by Elder Wirthlin, go check it out!

2 comments:

lizkachu said...

Thanks for posting the link to that talk. It was really inspiring :)

Andrea Frazer - Pass the Zoloft said...

I can't wait to read that. I could use some additional inspiration after being kind of a brat the past two weeks. It was great timing - thanks!