Friday, August 8, 2008

Thursday Night Trauma

I think I am still traumatized from last night. Katrina is recovered, but I'm not!

We headed over to the in-laws to watch the final results show of So You Think You Can Dance. They recently got a new dog, a cute little Shih Tzu with one eye. Apparently she barks at everyone who comes through the door, but Katrina, who has never heard a dog before, let out a wail so loud the dog didn't bark the rest of the night! Of course we picked her up and tried to calm her down, but nothing worked and she just got more and more frantic. I think that all the people and unfamiliar surroundings just made her panic. You know when you cry really hard and your breathing starts getting all messed up so that you can't stop crying and can't breathe correctly? That's what started to happen to her. It was so scary for us to watch. I tried feeding her but she couldn't even settle enough for that, so we just walked and walked around trying to soothe her. I was about to start sobbing myself but I knew that would only increase her panic, so I held back. Finally, I got her to latch on and she ate frantically. It was so sad to feel her whole body jolt as her breathing got back to normal, which took about 15-20 minutes. Adam and I sang to her and talked soothingly and by the end, she was better. So we went out to eat dinner and within a few minutes she was crying again unless someone held her, and then she started crying again even in someone's arms. I'm pretty sure by then she was exhausted and crying because of that. We took her for a drive and almost just drove back to PA, but she finally fell asleep. We headed back, put her in a portable crib, and were able to watch SYTYCD with the family. She woke up and cried for a little while before falling asleep, and that was really hard to not go to her. Usually at night she doesn't cry, she just talks to herself in her crib until she falls asleep. We decided to wait out the crying because it was getting shorter and farther apart, but I felt like the worst mom. Luckily, this morning she woke up just as happy as ever and I'm about to go get her from her morning nap. She seems unaffected by the whole thing, but I'm not! We've seen her cry, we've seen her cry for awhile for seemingly no reason at all, but never as bad or for as long as last night.

3 comments:

Jolena said...

Sad day! You're not a bad mom! Poor little one. Hopefully she won't be so shocked the next time she encounters a dog. What a night!

Shalyse said...

I am glad to hear that I am not the only mom out there who has experienced the same thing. It has happened 4 times so far for us. 2 times on the same day where she literally cried for 10-15 minutes and wouldn't stop. She wouldn't eat or do anything. The only way I could finally get her to calm down for at least a minute or two was to hold her facing out, with her sitting vertical with my hand under her diaper and my other hand by her belly. That doesn't always work, but for some reason it usually does work. I just feel so horrible every time she cries like that because I feel like I have tried everything. It isn't her diaper, she usually just ate, and she isn't over or under dressed or anything. I think a lot of the time she is just REALLY tired, yet she hasn't cried herself to sleep on any of these occasions. I wish there was some miracle thing that would work every time to calm her down when this happens again. I feel so terrible because I know our neighbors can hear her crying because it is definitely that loud. Anyway, you aren't a bad parent. I just want you to know that you aren't alone. I think you are doing a great job and you have an adorable little girl! What a sweetheart! It is hard to stay patient and happy with her with these times happen, but just try to think of all of the times she smiles at you and how in not too long she will hopefully be done crying. It is sad to see them when they finally eat (to help console themselves, I think) and she is like jolting with each gulp and still kind of crying. I hope this is a stage, a short one. I'll pray for you guys, please pray for us too! Thanks Tori and good luck!

Tasha's Life said...

No fun! Poor thing. I love the 1st picture with the penguin, though. So cute! I happen to know that you are a great mom!