Saturday, August 9, 2008

Chicken Pot Cupcakes


I made a delicious meal last night and what makes me the proudest is that I made up the recipe! I had an idea of making chicken pot pie in muffin dishes and looked at a few pot pie recipes to get ideas, and then I made it. My mom gave me ideas on cooking temperature and times. Here is what I did:

Make a crust with 2 cups flour, 3/4 c butter/shortening (half and half for a lighter crust!), 1 tsp salt, and 6 Tbsp cold water. Roll into a ball, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for a few hours. Next time I will double this recipe so that I don't have such a hard time coming up with enough crust.

Cook some chicken, potatoes, and carrots all in the same pot with a cube of chicken boullion. I have no idea if the boullion did anything to the flavor, but someone suggested it, so I tried it. In another pot, mix together one can cream of chicken and one cream of mushroom. Add celery, pepper, salt, and thyme. Chop up the chicken, carrots, and potatoes very small and add to the mixture. Next time I will add some salt since I used low-salt cream soups and it needed a little salt. I also will chop up the potatoes before I cook them and possibly peel them. I added a little milk to increase the liquid, but not too much so that it's still a very thick mixture.

Take half of the crust and roll it out very thin. Cut into circles and press into the muffin tins, ungreased. Scoop the mixture into each muffin spot. Roll out the rest of the crust very thin and cover each one. Pinch the edges together to avoid too much spillage. If it's pinched together well you can have a lot of the mixture inside. Make a few slits in the top of each with a sharp knife.

Cook for 25 minutes at 325.

The result? Delicious individual-sized chicken pot pies, or chicken pot cupcakes, as I call them! Just a couple each filled us up and left some over. Next time I will make more crust because I had too much mixture. With the crust I had, I was able to make ten little pot pies, but I could have made several more with the amount of mixture I had. Oh, and I was going to put onion in but the baby doesn't like it. Also, I only used cream of mushroom because I bought it on accident and we hate mushroom. This was a good way of masking it. I also didn't defrost enough chicken, but it still tasted good.

3 comments:

Elise said...

Those look so delicious! I love coming up with new recpies; this looks like a good one

Jolena said...

I have to say I'm impressed. Not that I didn't think they'd turn out, but they even look cute. Way to go sis!

Mama P said...

That is a great idea! I must try with my gluten free flour. I wonder if it would taste as good? Perhaps corn tamales? Hmmm... thinking... thinking...

I wanted to thank you for commenting at my BabyCenter site. I have enjoyed snooping around your site, also. Your family is beautiful (that baby - WOW) and I know you're going to feel better soon because of the mere fact that you reach out to people. Hang in. Good thoughts your way!

Andrea @ BabyCenter